This will not last long!
6oz/180g plain flour
1. Heat the oven to 190c/gas mark5/ 375F.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together (that means mix a lot until the colour become lighter - it's hard work!)
3. Add the flour and continue to mix.
4. Work together to make a ball of shortbread dough.
5. Lightly flour the work surface.
6. Roll out the shortbread dough to about 1cm thick.
7. Either use a pastry cutter to cut shapes, or (with adult supervision) use a knife to cut into finger shapes.
These need to be put on a baking sheet which has been lightly dusted with flour - this stops the biscuits sticking to the sheet.
8. Sprinkle with a little sugar and put in the fridge for 20 mins; don't worry, the oven will be needed later.
9. With adult supervision, put the baking sheet into the oven.
10. Bake for 15 - 20 mins.
11. Ask an adult to remove the tray from the oven; leave the biscuits to cool - this is when they harden.