L.O: To reflect on texts I have read
- Read extract ‘Schools of The World’ either out loud or silently
- Discuss some of the following points:
- Define the word myriad
- What does it mean by saying ‘first world countries?’
- How is education different in India and Cambodia compared to the UK?
- What are your views about education? Should everyone be entitled to an education?
L.O: To use information from the text and to draw conclusions
- Answer the questions from the text we looked at yesterday ‘Schools of The World’
- Mark your work using the answers
- Read or listen to the extracts https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z7shscw from a book called ‘Some Place More than Others’.
- Using the reading strategy of skimming and scanning- make some notes about what we learn about the characters (Mum, Dad and Amara).
- Read extract 2 after complete activities 2 and 3.
L.O: To compare and contrast different genres of books relating them to my preferences
Author Dan Freedman has written a new book called ‘Unstoppable’ check out his website where you’ll see some famous faces giving their views on his book.
You might want to:
- Hear part of an extract being read
- Read the beginning of the book (for free)
- Read his Q&A sessions where he has answered some of his fans questions
What you could consider after reading the prologue - 14 Years ago
- How are the two new-borns related?
- Was the girl or the boy born first?
Reflective Questions and Conversation Starters
- The title of this book is “Unstoppable.” After reading the prologue, explore the different ways in which the title could be interpreted.
- What does the fact that the new-borns “clasp one another’s hands” suggest?
- What significance do you think the quote “They are one” has?
L.O: To advertise new literature
- Read Part 1 of ‘Unstoppable’.
- Then decide if this genre of book is something that interests you. How would you encourage someone else, who is a similar age, to read this?
- Create a poster that could appear in our library
- Write a summary that explains the main themes or characters (don’t give too much away)
- Design an alternative book cover include an encouraging quote on the cover e.g Marcus Rashford ‘’If you’re aged between 11 and 14 I recommend you pick up Dan Freedman’s ‘Unstoppable’… you should definitely check it out’’