History- The Vikings – Vikings in Britain
This session looks at the Vikings in Britain, the relationships between the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings and how the country found an element of peace.
A couple of classic Horrible Histories songs to get you started:
Next, watch this video to gain more understanding about the Viking influence on Britain:
In response to the video and knowledge gained over the previous weeks of learning, have a go at answering these questions, ensuring you provide enough detail:
- Why did the Vikings come to Britain?
- How did the Anglo-Saxons react?
- Would you say the Vikings were 'pushed' from Scandinavia or 'pulled' to Britain?
- How safe was Britain to live in during the 9th century, in your opinion?
Step 4 (Optional):
If you have enjoyed this Viking unit you may wish to have a go at this final task. Write an extended response to the question below, thinking historically and using your prior learning to help you:
- Did the Vikings make Britain a better place to live in?
If you’re proud of your work please feel free to submit this to your class teacher on epraise.