Geography- how mountain ranges are formed (lesson 4)
- Briefly re-cap your learning about Mount Everest.
2. This week's learning objective: To summarise the formation of mountain ranges- How the earth’s structure is composed, What plate tectonics are and find out about the 3 different types of mountain ranges.
Go through the powerpoint or PDF - Stage 1: Structure of the earth (see below) and look at the plates on a digital photo map.
3. Draw your own model of the earth’s structure and include the different labels.
4. With a timer, play ‘Just a minute’. you have one minute to talk confidently without hesitation, repetition or deviation about the structure of the earth.
5. Read about the differences between between oceanic and continental plates.
6. Discuss key questions below (or on slide 17 of PPT)
8. Finally explore the different mountain types: fold, fault block and dome mountains (see pictures below or slide 20 to 30 of PPT)