Activity: Bird Identification Trail
TASK (Home Learners)
1. Look at the attached activity sheet (print if you are able).
2. Go on a walk with your activity sheets around your local area and see how many different birds you can identify or see how many different birds you can identify in your garden.
3. Complete the quiz using the information on the Top Trump cards.
TASK ONE (In School) – Identify Birds
You will need:
- White board & pen.
- A set of named birds and answer sheet.
1. In your area, 20 numbered laminated bird pictures have been hidden for you to find and identify.
2. Lay out the named bird pictures so that the Pod can walk around them and see each bird.
3. On your white boards, you need to write the numbers 1-20.
4. Set off around your area to find the numbered birds.
5. When you find one, you need to write the name next to the number on your white board.
6. If you are unsure, you can always come back and check with the named birds.
7. Teachers- Remind children not to move any of the numbered birds as other Pods will be using them.
TASK TWO – Evaluation
When everyone has identified as many birds as you can, go through the answers.
Resources – Each child will need a white board and pen. Equipment is to be collected from and returned to the table outside of the Green Lab.
Wet weather programme – On-line escape room (I have permission to use this within school).
Wildlife bingo – master call cards to be collected from green lab