What did they say?
The team of inspectors were extremely complimentary about the improvements which have been made to: governance, pupil outcomes, teaching, learning and assessment. They acknowledged how well pupils progress from the time they start in Year 5 to when they leave in Year 7.
The Ofsted team acknowledged that Witton pupils are “well prepared for the transition to high school in year 8”. The report shows that our “pupils have very positive attitudes towards learning”, they really are a credit to our school and that they are “courteous and polite to visitors and each other”. Our pupils really have embraced our ‘PRIDE’ values and are “happy in school and feel safe”.
Whilst Ofsted recognised each aspect was at least good, they did identify areas where we need further improvement. These were:
- Leaders should ensure that pupils’ progress in Year 6 in writing is as consistently high as in other year groups
- Leaders should ensure that teachers should ensure that they consistently:
- Provide challenging and inspiring activities so that pupils maintain their focus on learning and respond quickly if pupils start to lose focus
- Check that the targets they have set for pupil are specific enough and that pupils have an early opportunity to achieve them
- Inform pupils clearly how they can improve
These aspects were already being built into our school development plan; indeed, target setting is being discussed on the July Teacher Training Day.
Effectiveness of leadership and management
Quality of teaching, learning and assessment
Personal development, behaviour and welfare
Outcomes for pupils
What does the school need to do to improve further?
- Leaders should ensure that pupils’ progress in Year 6 in writing is as consistently high as it is in other year groups by increasing the opportunities pupils have to practise more advanced skills.
- Teachers should ensure that they consistently:
- provide challenging and inspiring activities so that pupils maintain their focus on learning, and respond quickly if pupils start to lose this focus
- check that the targets they have set for pupils are specific enough and that pupils have an early opportunity to achieve them
- inform pupils clearly how they can improve.
Ofsted ReportsHere are copies of our latest Ofsted Reports for you to download and read
Witton Middle School
Please contact our School Office with any enquiries and you will be directed to speak to the right person where possible. You can either call, email or fill out the form on our contact page.